Sunday, March 8, 2009

Weekend Projects

I've been working on a few things this weekend...

First, on the Bee Inspired front, I am still waiting (rather impatiently I must add) for my fabric. The joys of living in the middle of nowhere. One positive side effect of being one of the last to receive my fabric is that I get to see everyone's finished blocks before I even start mine. And they are beautiful! Rachel has picked gorgeous fabric and a block that is very versatile. Go check them out! In the spirit of Rachel's pinwheel quilt, here is a photo of the pinwheel quilt I made for my son before he was born last year:
Next, I have been working madly on my Doll Quilt Swap 6 quilt. Here's a peek. In fact I have an entire quilt top made, but now I am having second thoughts. Last night I created a second, practice quilt to work on my free-motion quilting. Here is my practice stippling:I also tried the "sketch" method outlined here. I love this method because it doesn't have to be perfect. Heck, even better, it isn't supposed to be perfect because it is meant to look like a sketch! That's my kind of quilting.This is a picture of the back: I'm pretty happy with the quilting. But I also like my mock-up way better than the actual Doll Quilt that I made so I think I may have to rethink my creation. Perhaps change the borders, or maybe the centre, or maybe start all over??? At least I have some time to dwell on it. Overall, I am so impressed with the creative and beautifully constructed quilts in the DQS pool that I'm feeling a wee bit insecure about my own talents. I think I just need to take a step back, relax, and pick it up again later in the week.
And because I am Canadian, this entry wouldn't really be complete without a comment on the weather. So here it is: It snowed here again this weekend. Almost 6 inches. I don't think winter will ever be over! My husband and are already dreaming of becoming 'Snow Birds.' I'm not even 30...doh!

5 comments:

Lisa said...

Your pinwheel is great! I am all inspired to make myself a pinwheel quilt now.

Anonymous said...

Don't feel insecure about the doll quilt swap! I'm sure your quilt will be awesome. Your little sneak peeks look great!

I think I might be part Canadian because I'm always tempted to comment on the weather too! ;) I actually grew up in Iowa and we always talked about the weather. And the weather has been weird lately, hasn't it? I'm definitely ready for spring!!!

byneedleandthread said...

i think they look great barb. your quilting is amazing. i'm still terrified of free motion. i'm sure whatever you decide to make, your partner will love it!

Unknown said...

Love the sneaks of your doll quilt! your quilting looks great :)

Vivian said...

I found your blog while jumping from one blog to another this morning. Had to stop jumping and start reading when I saw your bold blue/lime Wonky Log Cabin blocks. Those blocks make me smile. Cute, trendy, colorful, totally fun! Looks like we're both beginning bloggers. I'm looking forward to seeing your future projects, Barb.